Saturday, August 15, 2009

Heat Training In Bradley Palmer

Today I went for my last long training run before the running a 50K in two weeks. I intentionally waited until noon so I could run during the hottest part of the day. I feel I am already well acclimated to the heat but a little heat insurance couldn't hurt. Bradley Palmer has some open grass fields fully exposed to the blazing sun. They are smaller but similar to what I will encounter during the 50K so I wanted to get a feel for running in the open without the benefit of tree cover. I'm not a very good in the heat but the run went better than I expected, actually, it went very well. I never felt like the 88 degree temp was an issue.

The plan was to run only 15 miles so I didn't see the need to follow the Galloway method on this run. I just maintained a very steady, comfortable running pace for the entire workout. My 5 mile splits were very consistent:

Mile 5: 53:30
Mile 10: 53:38
Mile 15: 53:17

I came across 4 riders on horseback and 2 mountain bikers but other than that it was a very quiet afternoon in the woods.

Today, I also tested out a new item for hot weather running. I give it an A+ and I'm convinced it's one reason why the heat didn't bother me today. I'll post a complete review in a day or two.

Here's to sunshine....

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear about the "item". Heat gets me every time when I run fast. Nice job on the run. Ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan, your splits were even indeed! I am eager to learn about your heat item, too!
    The Sweathog, ET

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...sounds like you're really gearing up and that race is so close. What is the heat item?

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...