Monday, May 17, 2010

Test Run

I have little patience when it come to dealing with running injuries.  I suspect most runners are that way.   It's one thing to be injured in the dead of winter when there's not much happening but totally different to be injured in the middle of race season and missing out on trail racing and fun times with friends.  My impatience got the better of me over the weekend and I decided to take a test run to see how my ITB would react to some very easy jogging. I've been treating the injury for three weeks now and I've taken the past two weeks off from running. I thought maybe I would be ready to resume training, easy training that is.   I was wrong.  I jogged for five minutes and then the knee pain returned. It was a short test and I failed it.

I'm disappointed it didn't go well but I'm glad I tried it anyway.  I think it was good for me to get a dose of reality.  Before taking the test run I was thinking I could get over this injury quickly and get back to running and racing this summer.  Now I'm ready to accept that it's not going to play out that way. The Nipmuck Marathon is definitely not going to happen for me this year since it's only three weeks away. The Wakely Dam Ultra, my key race for the summer, is likely to become another race casualty to the ITB demon.  Oh well, life goes on.

I'll continue with my current treatment plan an maybe try another test run in three weeks.  If it goes well I may be able to salvage Wakely by using the run/walk method to get me through the 33 miles of wilderness.  If it doesn't work out, I'll set my sights on the Pisgah 50K  or Vermont 50M in September.  

I feel much better now that I've given up hope.

11 comments:

  1. SO sorry this is taking so long. Can you cross-train in the meantime? I know it is not the same, but even some walking/hiking (if it is pain free), or the elyptical in a gym may help at least with the mental part. I was in a similar situation 3 years ago, got a stress fracture in May and could not run for 6 weeks. talk about bad timing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Dan...this sucks :(. I'm sorry you are dealing with this, as I know how frustrating it is.

    I am headed back to VT50 this year as I have unfinished business there, lol. I will say, that is is a great course. Hills, yes but not overly technical (unless, of course, there is mud...oh the *&^#%$% mud...)If that is a goal race for you I would say it is probably a safe one knee-wise. I am hoping you are up and running before then though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ana, I could try cross-training but I figure anything that involves my legs would only slow down the healing process. Plus, I dislike cross-training as much as not runnung.

    Julie, Stuff happens! VT is a nice course. I'd like to run it on a clear day (unlike last year).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dan,

    I struggled through this injury for about a year, and I was eventually diagnosed with weak hips, specifically the gluteus medius. Have you looked into doing some basic core strengthening exercises?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wayne, yeah I started doing the strengthening exercises about 3 weeks ago. I know it's going to take some time to get over but I hope it's not a year. I hope you are doing well now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry, Dan. I am just coming off an tendon injury from last summer's VT 100. I was starting to think I'd never run again. I feel for you all the way. It's tough. You have a great attitude, though. Hang in there. These things always get better.

    And I agree with Julie. VT 50!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bummer, Dan. I'm so sorry your test didn't go better. Legs are complicated things, and what heals one person's ITB wont necessarily work for others. That said, I deliberately altered my gait by turning my toes slightly inward toward my centerline with each step. It changed my knee bend enough to eliminate ITB pain... until the last 4 miles of Stone Cat anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad the Leslie blog can serve as a little distraction as you're getting yourself well and sorry to hear about what's ailing you. Injuries sure do suck, but here's the thing: you're going to be a lot grumpier in 2 months if you're getting heavy and you've lost your fitness. So focus on what you can do. Suck it up and cross-train to maintain some of your fitness and former studly running self and watch your diet. There's nothing worse than 10 bonus pounds on a grumpy leg/knee/IT. Hang on to that thought of when you'll be back on the trails, doing what you love to do - and you'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dan, new to your site. First post I read and it happens to be an injury. I hope that you can overcome this ITB thing if not soon, in the near future. I am currently in the process of healing from PF. I decided to take up trail running a few weeks ago, and found that due to the surfacing, my heel seems to not be that bothered by it as much as road running. I am in luck as Central PA offers a lot of trails. I wish you the best in your ITB issue. May you race again in September if not sooner. Look forward to hearing how your treatment goes and your future posts. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can sympathize with ITB issues. Was in physical therapy a few times a week for over a month...over a year ago...
    As I prep for WS the issues have come back so have reduced the miles and spend lots of time stretching and strengthening..The good news is now I"m back on track. Hope you are soon as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dan, thinking of you! keep doing something so the body doesn't quit sending the feel good formulas....My chiro visits are a miracle. I believe. That and stretching! Long term view here. Get healthy don't rush the process but glad you tested it to be sure.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...