Friday, February 5, 2016

Passing Time With Podcasts

During my running days I would never listen to music or podcasts during training runs or races. I preferred to enjoy the solitude and beauty around me or to converse with my fellow running mates. Now that I spend most of my time alone I find podcasts good company and I listen to them often. The subject matter varies greatly but my favorites tend to focus on an active outdoor lifestyle. Here is a small sampling of my new companions.


The First 40 MilesHosts Heather and Josh discuss various topics geared towards beginner hikers and backpackers, recount backpacking trips with their children, review outdoor gear and reveal a "backpack hack of the week" on each episode. I think that's my favorite segment of all.








The Pedalshift ProjectWith a focus on the "non-spandex" cyclist, this podcast is a good tool for learning more about the bike touring lifestyle. I enjoy hearing about the host and his guest's trips as well as what worked well and not so well on their journeys.









The Pursuit Zone:  Whether it''s running across Mongolia, skiing the continent of Antarctica, paddling across the Pacific Ocean, cycling around the world, or kayaking the Amazon River I never tire of hearing tales of ordinary people doing extraordinary things. This is one of my favorite podcasts. You should definitely check it out. 








The Trail Show: Sometimes I think the four hosts, all triple-crown hikers with over 40,000 combined miles, created this podcast as an excuse to drink beer. Not that's its a bad thing. I barely got passed the first two episodes due the incessant sound effects but the first-time prodcasters steadily improved and now The Trail Show is one of my staples.






Talk Ultra: Ian Corless hosts the premier podcast in the extreme world of ultrarunning. Interviews with all the elites of the sport, race results, training talk and co-host Karl "Speedgoat" Meltzer, who has won more 100 mile races than anyone on earth, make this a must listen to for anyone serious about the sport of ultrarunning.






"Say hello to my little friends"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...